Friday, October 29, 2010

The Journey Begins

If you have found this blog, you most likely have received a DVD in the mail from someone you know. Hopefully, you were intrigued and you watched this film and came here to follow the enclosed instructions.

The first order of business is to THANK YOU for taking the time to watch the film and come here to share.  I stumbled upon "Invisible Children" several years ago and have, since that time, been doing whatever I can to a) make people aware and b) try and help.  What I've realized about this film is that you can't watch it without being inspired and wanting to do something to help. The hard part has always been to get people to watch it.

Recently, I hosted a modest charity screening of one of Invisible Children's documentaries and, while the turnout wasn't as impressive as I'd expected, I realized that I'd we'd made a difference. Because of that small screening, 20 people who knew nothing of these atrocities in Northern Uganda and surrounding areas, are now aware. And not only that? Everyone that I have spoken to since is spreading the word. This blog is my newest project.

This is where you come in. You have received this DVD because someone thinks that YOU can help. Your job, as a recipient is to send it on and encourage whomever you send it to, to do the same. And so on. And so on.

The purpose of this blog is for you, the recipients to not only track the DVD, but to share your thoughts, feelings, ideas...anything you want. The floor is yours.

Ultimately, I hope that you are here because you too, are inspired. I hope that you saw this film and you wanted to help make a change. I hope that you will do whatever you can. And I hope that you tell the world about it.  And here's your chance. Please comment on this post and include the following bits of information:

1. Who are you? We want to know!
2. Where are you? Show us how far this film has traveled.
3. Where you're sending the film?  Where are we traveling to next?
4. Thoughts about the film? The organization itself?
5.What can YOU do to help?  Whether or not you have money to donate or buy some merchandize, you can still help. Do you have creative ideas to help get the word out? Let us know!

Thank you again for taking the time to help! And I hope that you won't stop here!
Send it on!

Peace and Love...
C

4 comments:

  1. It is only fitting that I should comment considering, here we are at the start of our journey!

    1. Crystal. I am 30 years old and I work in Case Management.
    2. Neptune Beach, FL
    3. Dunedin, FL and Guam
    4. This is one of the most heart-breaking/inspiring films I have ever seen and now, more than ever, Invisible Children needs our help.
    5. Well, this is my latest project. And I won't stop here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you Crittle, and proud to be a part of this, too!

    1. Hesper. 28-year old admin assistant, mommy and wife.
    2. Jacksonville, FL
    3. To my seester in McClure, VA.
    4. I can't imagine anyone watching this without wanting to get up off the couch and do something to help out. A truly inspiring film and organization. I wish I could quit my job and join them on the road/ in Northern Uganda.
    5. I'm helping by spending all my money on the merchandise, spreading the word to friends, family and coworkers, and supporting the woman with all the ideas - Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Angie, 26 years old, I work in the public adoption arena.
    2. Dunedin, Florida
    3. The jury is still out on this. I'm hoping to engage some of my coworkers in this movement, but will keep you posted either way.
    4. It's hard to believe that I have spent the last four years of my life working with children in Florida who have been abused and neglected and THIS is the most horrific thing I can imagine happening to children. The children I work with are far from lucky, but at least they have a voice and there are people and LAWS in place to keep them safe.
    5. Thus far, I have supported by donating to the Gulu walk and purchasing merchandise from invisible children. I am excited to learn more about ways I can spread the word! (Also, I was very excited to see my husband spring off the couch and put on the invisible children bracelet after the movie ended- it's spreading!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Nate, 27, Case Management Supervisor
    2. Dunedin, FL
    3. Plan to let my family in Alabama watch and forward to my Buddy in Oregon.
    4. It is hard for me to believe that the international community can allow such atrocities. I found it very moving however frustrating. I believe we would never let this happen to our countries children (would be at least the common idea I guess you would say) but we should never allow this to happen to any child(ren).
    5. I have donated to the Gulu walk, I sport the bracelet, my wife and I have purchased merchandise and I am spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete